Can I file a lawsuit against a driver who fled the scene of the accident in New Jersey?

woman on phone in front of car

While driving on the road, an accident can happen in a split second due to negligence. Understandably, being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. As such, the at-fault driver may panic and flee the accident scene to avoid liability. This is known as a hit-and-run. Leaving the accident scene is a crime. Motorists must alert emergency services if the collision results in serious injury or significant property damage. If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, you may be concerned about your ability to recover monetary compensation for your damages. Please continue reading and contact a determined Middlesex County, NJ, Car Accident Attorney to discover how we can help you fight to obtain the just compensation you deserve. 

What should I do if the other driver flees the accident scene in New Jersey?

In the immediate aftermath of a collision, it can be overwhelming to learn that the other driver has left the accident scene without providing identification or aid. If the crash caused injury or significant property damage, you might be concerned about your ability to receive compensation for your losses. Nonetheless, it is still possible to collect compensation. You should gather as much information as possible from the accident scene to maximize your chances. This includes remembering the other vehicle’s license plate number and any other descriptive attributes about the other car. It also describes the other drivers, such as their sex, race, hair color, height, and other distinguishing features.

Following the collision, you may need to apprehend the other driver. However, this can put you in a dangerous situation, leading to further damage. Therefore, you should remain at the scene of the accident until the police have arrived. Leave locating the other driver up to the police. Additionally, once you have received medical assistance, it is vital to enlist the help of an experienced attorney who can help you investigate the incident. This may include obtaining security footage and interviewing witnesses to identify the responsible driver.

What is Victims of Crime Compensation?

Fortunately, in New Jersey, individuals who have been the victims of certain crimes, including hit-and-run accidents, can apply for additional compensation if their personal injury protection (PIP) auto insurance does not cover the total cost of their damages through the Victims of Crime Compensation. You must report the accident within nine months and file a claim application within three years to receive a maximum award of $25,000.

This financial aid can help cover any outstanding expenses related to your injuries or property damage. Additionally, you can receive a maximum of $600 per week for a period of 104 weeks in lost earnings if your injuries have prevented you from working. Victims of Crime Compensation is highly beneficial as it can be challenging to locate a driver who flees the scene of an accident.

If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, contact a talented attorney from Stathis & Leonardis who can help you seek reasonable compensation for your damages.

Read Our Latest News & Blogs