Have you ever been in a car accident? It is likely that you, or a loved one, have experienced some sort of car accident, whether it be a small fender bender or a more serious accident. Car accidents are such common occurrences. In fact, the average number of car accidents in the U.S. every year is 6 million. As a result, it is important to know what to do if an accident occurs. Read on for more information regarding car accidents in New Jersey.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
By knowing the most common causes of car accidents, you can know how to best avoid them. Car accidents can be caused by any number of factors, including faulty car parts, poor weather conditions, or hazardous road conditions. But, for the most part, car accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Texting while driving and other forms of distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What do I do After an Accident?
After a car accident, there are a few important steps you should take.
- Call the police. They can call an ambulance, take witness statements, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Politely ask the other driver for his or her insurance information. Car accidents can be tense, but it is important that you avoid apologizing. An apology can be seen as an admission of guilt.
- Document the scene. You will want to take photos and videos of the damage done to your car, the other driver’s car, and the scene of the accident.
- Gather the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident occur as they may be able to provide you with witness statements.
- Go to the hospital. It is important to go to the hospital, even if you are not seriously injured. You may be injured without realizing it, or have sustained an injury that does not show symptoms until later on. At the hospital, make sure to ask your doctors for any medical documents and bills relating to your injury.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney who will fight for you to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact our firm to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney about your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.