If you have been injured at a school, hotel, supermarket, friend’s house, etc., you may be entitled to recover compensation. This is because of New Jersey’s premises liability laws. Read on to learn more about premises liability and the steps to take in the event of an injury.
What is Premises Liability?
In New Jersey, property owners must keep their properties maintained at all times. They are responsible for ensuring the safety of anyone who enters the property, whether they are an invitee or a licensee. An invitee is a person invited onto the property for business or commercial reasons. A licensee is a person that was on the property for non-business or non-commercial reasons, such as social gatherings. There are even circumstances in which a property owner may owe a duty of care to a person trespassing on their property.
How do I Recover Compensation for a Premises Liability Accident?
If a property owner does not keep their property maintained, serious accidents can occur. If you can prove that the property owner acted negligently, you will likely be able to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. In order to do this, be sure to:
- Call 911 right away- The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene- Take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention- You should go to the hospital immediately after your accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, but it will also provide you with important proof regarding the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney- An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a property owner’s negligence, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.