Fireworks are beautiful, and a great way to celebrate the 4th of July. However, they can also be dangerous. As a result, it is necessary to take safety precautions when lighting fireworks. Read on to learn more about firework accidents in New Jersey.
Firework safety precautions:
When lighting fireworks, it is important to always keep the following in mind:
- Never stand directly over a firework before lighting it.
- If a firework does not light on your first attempt, do not try and relight it. This can lead to serious burn injuries.
- Do not light off fireworks until you are positive that all guests and spectators are a safe distance away.
- Do not throw away hot fireworks. Be sure to let them cool down and douse them with cool water before placing them in the trash to avoid a fire.
- Do not purchase illegal fireworks. Ensure you first look up whether fireworks are legal in your area, and which fireworks are legal as there are different types.
- Responsible adults should be the only individuals who handle fireworks. Children should never be in charge of or left alone with fireworks.
- Keep your pets inside. The loud fireworks can cause them to panic or run away. While this is unpleasant for your pet, it can also result in serious accidents for you, your guests, and/or your pets.
- Ensure you have a fire extinguisher and water on standby to put out a fire if necessary.
- Before lighting fireworks, ensure you have protective glasses on.
What is the statute of limitations?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence when lighting fireworks, you may have a personal injury case. If this occurs, it is important to reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney right away. This is because of a deadline known as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve to heal.
If you have been injured due to the negligence of another party, our firm is here for you. We will fight to recover the compensation you deserve. Reach out today to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please contact our firm today.