Stairwell accidents can cause severe injuries. If you are facing the consequences of one, contact our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys to discuss the specifics of your case and learn more about your options.
What are the common causes of stairwell accidents in New Jersey?
There are many different ways that stairwell accidents can occur in New Jersey, however, most of them are tied to negligence. The most common causes of stairwell accidents include the following:
- Insufficiently lit stairwells
- Damaged stairs
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Defective or broken railings
- Lack of security
What should I do if I was injured in a stairwell?
If you were injured as a result of negligence in a stairwell, it is vital that you obtain as much evidence as possible following your accident. If you are able, take these steps:
- Call 911 – the police will file an accident report and send an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident, including the dangerous conditions that caused the accident and your injuries sustained as a result.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses to the scene of the accident. They may be able to confirm your version of the events.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for medical documentation that leads to the origin and severity of your injuries. This will be fundamental evidence in your future personal injury claim.
- Retain the services of a skilled New Jersey personal injury lawyer that can help you gain more evidence to help improve your claim. An attorney will also accompany you through the claims process and guarantee you are meeting all of the important deadlines.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in New Jersey?
In the state of New Jersey, the statute of limitations is two years for most personal injury claims. This implies that if you fail to file your stairwell accident claim within two years from the date of your accident, you will not only lose the chance to file altogether, but you will also miss out on the opportunity to recover the compensation that you deserve.
Do not wait to reach out to an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney today. Our firm is committed to ensuring that you are promptly filing your claim.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.