If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may wish to take legal action. One of the most important steps of this process is seeking medical attention immediately after the injury occurs. Read on to learn more.
Can I recover compensation after an accident?
When an individual is injured due to another party’s negligence, he or she may be entitled to recover compensation. Typically, there are two forms of compensation awarded in a personal injury case:
Economic damages: Economic damages are awarded for quantifiable burdens such as hospital bills and other medical bills. Additionally, if you are out of work recovering from your injury, you may recover compensation for lost wages. Economic damages are also awarded for things like property damage.
Non-Economic Damages: Sometimes, the injured party will be compensated for the physical and mental burdens he or she now faces as a result of the injury. For example, compensation can be awarded for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of independence among other things. However, these damages can be harder to obtain since they are not easily quantifiable.
What is the importance of seeking medical attention?
It is important to seek medical attention as soon as an injury occurs:
- Ensure your injuries receive proper treatment
- It is important to seek medical attention for your own health and wellness. It is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it or an injury that does not develop symptoms for the next few days.
- Provide proof for a personal injury case
- Seeking medical attention can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This can play a large role in a personal injury case. As a result, it is important to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Insurance may require medical care
- Some insurance companies won’t provide compensation without proof of injury from a doctor.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, our firm is here to help. Contact our firm to discuss your case. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.