Now that spring is officially upon us, more and more cyclists will be taking to the road. Since May is National Bicycle Safety Month, our New Jersey personal injury attorneys feel it prudent to discuss some of the many safety precautions every cyclist should take before setting out to avoid a bicycle accident. Please continue reading to learn more.
- Always follow the rules and regulations of the road. All cyclists must observe and follow the same rules and regulations of the road as all other motorists. This means you cannot bike under the influence, you must always stop at stop signs, obey traffic lights, and more.
- Make sure other motorists can see you. You can do so by equipping your bicycle with reflectors, lights, and always wearing bright-colored clothes. This is especially important if you plan on biking at night.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Careless motorists, obstructions or debris in the road and more can all cause serious accidents. If you stay constantly alert, you boost your chances of avoiding these potential safety hazards.
- Thoroughly inspect your bicycle. Every time you are about to set out for a trip, ensure you first check your tire pressure, brakes, bike chain, and more for optimal function.
- Always travel in the same direction as traffic. Rather obviously, riding in the opposite direction of traffic is quite dangerous. Additionally, to further decrease the chances of an accident, always bike in a straight, predictable line, and do so on the shoulder when possible. Finally, always use hand signals to indicate you are turning.
- Never bike without wearing a helmet. Helmets that satisfy the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards may save your life if you are ever involved in an accident. Do not fail to wear one.
That being said, there are times where taking these various safety precautions simply cannot prevent an accident. If you are someone who was, for example, struck by another motorist because of his or her negligence, there is a very good chance you are now seriously injured and require financial compensation to heal. Our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys can help gather and present the evidence needed to prove your personal injury claim. If you believe you were wrongly injured, give our firm a call today. We are ready to begin the claims process on your behalf.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.