This Memorial Day Weekend, there is a very good chance you will be traveling to spend time with your friends and family. Of course, you are not alone, as Memorial Day is a significant day for travel across the United States. Unfortunately, high volumes of travel also mean a high probability of serious accidents occurring. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys to learn more about auto accidents and what to do if you are injured in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do if I am injured in a car accident?
If you are injured in a car accident, either at the hands of a drunk driver or otherwise, there are several things you should do. They are as follows:
- First, call the police. They will document the incident and send an ambulance that will transport you to a hospital where you will receive medical treatment.
- Next, ask the other driver for his or her insurance information while keeping conversation to a minimum.
- Then, take pictures of any damage to your car, the other motorist’s vehicle, and any property damaged in the accident.
- Ask anyone who saw the accident for their contact information so they may corroborate your claim.
- After receiving medical treatment, ask your doctor for all documents concerning the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Finally, retain the services of a knowledgeable New Jersey personal injury attorney who knows how to gather and present all additional evidence needed to prove your claim. We are here to help.
How long do I have to sue for a car accident injury in New Jersey?
If you have been injured in an accident, you may be wondering whether you should simply wait to see if your injuries heal before taking legal action against the liable party. We cannot advise you to do so, as the state of New Jersey has a statute of limitations dictating the amount of time people have to sue for an injury. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is, generally, two years, you will, generally, have two years from the date of your accident to sue. We are ready to assist you through every step of the claims process ahead–all you have to do is ask.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.