If you have been wrongly injured in an auto accident or otherwise, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation to help you heal. The first step in receiving this compensation is attending an initial consultation with an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney. Please read on to learn more about preparing for an initial consultation.
How do I prepare for my initial consultation with a personal injury attorney?
Your first meeting with your personal injury attorney is perhaps the most important, mainly because it is where you will acquaint your attorney with your case. Because this is such a critical meeting, it is crucial that you properly prepare. Some of the things you should bring to your initial consultation are as follows:
- A written statement of your version of the story, in a sequence of events form.
- A copy of the police report filed at the scene of the accident, which may validate or confirm your personal injury claim.
- Photographs or videos of the incident, as well as any injuries you have sustained as a result.
- Your insurance information.
- The names and contact information of anyone who witnessed your accident as it happened.
- Medical records regarding the origin/extent of your injuries, as well as any documentation detailing the cost of your injuries, such as medical bills for surgeries, the cost of in-home care, and more.
- Any contact the opposing party or their insurance company has made with you, such as texts, emails, phone calls, or otherwise.
What will my attorney need to know before taking my case?
Your attorney will ask you many different questions to ensure he gets the full picture of your case before proceeding. Some of the information your attorney will need to know is as follows:
- Whether you have reached out to any other lawyers or insurance representatives about your accident.
- Whether you have submitted a statement about your accident to your insurance company prior to meeting with our firm.
- Where you work, what you do, and how long you have been working at the establishment.
- How your injuries affect your daily life and prevent you from returning to work, etc.
- Whether this is your first accident, and whether this is your first time suing another party for an accident.
- The details of your doctor’s prognosis.
This may seem like a lot, however, if you believe you have been wrongly injured, we are here to help you through every step of the claims process ahead.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.