How Can I Report Nursing Home Abuse in New Jersey?

man in wheelchair facing abuse from nurse

Despite state and federal laws aiming to prevent it, many nursing home residents suffer from abuse every year. If you have a loved one who resides in a nursing home it is important to be aware of the signs and know how to report abuse.

If there is a medical emergency or you believe a nursing home resident is in immediate danger, call 911 and get help now. Otherwise, refer to the options below and acquire the services of a Middlesex County nursing home litigation attorney to discuss your situation with an experienced legal professional.

What is Nursing Home Abuse?

Nursing home abuse is all too common in assisted living facilities across the country. Whether it is intentional or unintentional, abuse and neglect are prevalent issues. It may come in the form of a caretaker neglecting to help a resident with bathing, laundry, doctor visits, and other required tasks. In some more extreme cases, it can entail physical harm and caretakers neglecting to respond to serious medical situations like a stroke.

You can report a hospital, nursing home, home health agency, assisted living facility, adult medical daycares, and other long-term care facilities if you suspect abuse, neglect, or exploitation.

How Do I Report Abuse?

If you are considering making an abuse report against a nursing home on behalf of your loved one, you must follow certain steps. First, make sure to document the suspected abuse when possible. If the patient is able to describe the situation, write down their statement. Take photos of any physical evidence like bruises, cuts, bed sores, etc. Record the date and times of the incidents. Once you have this information, take the following steps.

First, contact a representative of the nursing home. You may be able to have the situation resolved through the facility. They should launch an investigation into the matter and work to resolve the incident.

If the investigation is not conducted or yields little to no results, make a report through the New Jersey Department of Health. You can submit a complaint online on the NJ government’s health facilities page. You can also file a complaint on the phone at the 24/7 hotline number 1-800-792-9770. You may also choose to complain via fax or by mail. With either of these options, you must print out the Consumer Resident/Patient Complaint Report form which can be found on the health facilities page linked above. Fill out the form and fax it to 609-943-4977 or mail it to the New Jersey Department of Health. The mailing information can be found on the same page.

If you would like to pursue legal action against an abusive or negligent health care worker speak with an experienced attorney to obtain skilled legal help. Your lawyer will help you navigate the complexities of the legal process and ensure your loved one is given justice.

Read Our Latest News & Blogs