Supermarket shopping is a common chore, but it can lead to serious injuries. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents in New Jersey and what to do if an injury occurs.
What do I do if I am Injured in a Supermarket Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof of this negligence. In order to obtain this proof, be sure to:
- Notify the supermarket manager- This will ensure that they can file an accident report and that they will be prepared for any legal to come.
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and more.
- Document the scene- If possible, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Ask for their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention- Many people attempt to skip the hospital and recover at home. This can be dangerous because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, your injuries may not heal properly without the attention of a medical professional. Finally, going to the doctor can provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This information can play a large role in a personal injury case. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents and carefully follow your doctor’s advice.
- Contact an attorney- An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including police reports, security camera footage, and more.
- File your claim on time- In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing the opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve to heal.
Our firm will fight to recover the compensation you deserve. We will advocate for you every step of the way. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.