Truck accidents happen often and can be incredibly severe. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in New Jersey.
How Are Truck Accidents Caused?
There are a number of different ways a truck accident can be caused, but the majority of accidents are caused by:
- Safety regulations: If a truck driver violates certain rules of the road, they may cause an accident. This includes changing lanes improperly, passing other vehicles unsafely, or following behind other vehicles too closely.
- Reckless driving: If a truck driver is driving irresponsibly, it can be difficult for them to control the vehicle and bring it to a stop. The average truck needs a length of about two football fields to come to a complete stop. If trucks are driving recklessly, it can be difficult to maneuver the vehicle.
- Poor visibility: Due to their size, trucks have a restricted view of the road. Their large blind spots can trap other smaller vehicles and cause accidents.
- Drowsy driving: Federal law allows truck drivers 11 hours on the road within a 14-hour workday, giving them no more than 70 hours a week. If they drive any longer than this, they may cause an accident due to drowsy driving.
- Mechanical problems: It is possible for trucks to fail because of mechanical issues. This can include tire blowouts, brake issues, breakdowns, and more.
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you are injured due to a truck driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to do this, you will have to prove that some form of negligence occurred. To do this, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police will direct traffic to keep the roads safe, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and obtain witness statements.
- Document the scene. If possible, take photos and videos of any damage done to your car, the truck, and any property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention. It is important to go to the hospital to make sure your injuries are properly treated. Make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, contact our firm today to discuss your case with an experienced attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.