If you were injured in a motorcycle accident as a result of another’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Reach out to our firm today to speak with one of our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys to learn more about your options.
How do motorcycle accidents in New Jersey occur?
Motorcycle accidents can occur in many different ways. Sometimes, they happen because of inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, in most cases, the causes of motorcycle accidents are typically driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence that our firm has seen include the following:
- Driving while sleepy or fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Ignoring blind spots
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Is a motorcyclist covered under personal injury protection in New Jersey?
Unfortunately, motorcyclists in the state of New Jersey are not covered under personal injury protection. Personal injury protection, also known as PIP, is a no-fault insurance policy that covers medical expenses and lost wages after an accident. If you are not covered under PIP, it is likely that you will have to pay your own way, unless you have your own health insurance or are able to collect damages from the person that caused your accident and injuries. No matter what the case may be, you should retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney to help you through each step of the claims process.
Can I recover compensation after a motorcycle accident?
In order to pursue legal action and successfully recover compensation for your injuries sustained, you will need to satisfy the burden of proof. This means that you will need to present as much evidence as possible leading to another’s negligence. If you are able, be sure to take the following steps immediately after your accident:
- Call 911. The police will be able to send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. In some cases, motorcyclists wear bodycams so that they have the footage in the event that an accident occurs.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents that disclose the extent of and origin of your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney that can help you obtain more evidence that can be key to your claim.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.