Have you been injured in a car accident? If so, you may be eligible to recover compensation. However, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. This means providing evidence that the accident was a result of another party’s negligence. Read on to learn more.
Steps to take after a car accident:
- Call 911: It is important to call the police after a car accident. The police can send an ambulance to the scene, ensure that the road is clear, file an accident report, and more. You can also call your local police department if there are no injuries and the road is not blocked.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to seek medical attention, even if the accident was not severe. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. For example, some injuries do not show symptoms for days or even weeks after they occur. Additionally, this will provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injury, which can play a large role in a personal injury case. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, be sure to take pictures and videos of the scene. Take photos of your vehicle as well as any other vehicles involved in the incident. Document any damaged property as well.
- Obtain witness contacts: Did anyone see the accident occur? If so, they may be able to provide important witness testimony and corroborate your version of events. If possible, obtain their contact information.
- Contact an attorney: An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence. This may include police reports, security camera footage, and more.
What is the statute of limitations?
In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will typically mean forfeiting your right to pursue legal action, therefore losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. Do not wait to reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney. Time is of the essence. Contact our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.