There’s a lot of hustle and bustle in supermarkets. When things fall off the shelves, or spills occur, customers and employees can become seriously injured. When shopping in the supermarket, an injury may be the last thing on your mind, but unfortunately, these accidents occur often and can have a major impact on your physical and financial health. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Supermarket Accidents Occur?
Supermarket accidents occur for a number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Slip and fall accidents due to unattended spills
- Trip and fall accidents
- Loose produce
- Unstable displays
- Falling products
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you will need to prove that this negligence occurred. In order to do so, you should:
- Take photos and videos of the conditions that caused your accident.
- Seek medical attention. It is important to make sure your injuries are tended to, but this will also provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Notify the manager so he or she can file a report.
- Obtain the contact information of any bystanders. They may be able to provide witness statements later on.
- Reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to obtain more evidence, such as security camera footage and/or police reports.
- Make sure to file your personal injury claim on time.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you are injured in a supermarket accident and you wish to take legal action, you will need to make sure to file your personal injury claim on time. This is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, in the state of New Jersey, you will have two years to file your claim. This means that if you fail to file within two years from the date of your accident, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation.
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident in New Jersey, contact our firm to speak with a skilled personal injury attorney. We understand the toll an injury can take and we want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.