Parking lot owners are responsible for ensuring their property is free of all hazards and dangerous conditions. If you were involved in a parking lot accident that left you injured physically and financially as a result of another’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys at Stathis & Leonardis today.
What are the common causes of a parking lot accident in New Jersey?
If you were seriously injured in a parking lot accident, it is strongly advised that you contact an attorney to discuss your legal options. Parking lot owners, like any other property owner, are responsible for maintaining a safe property for all who enter it. If there is a hazardous condition that the owner knew of or should have known of, and an injury results, the property owner may be held liable. Some of the most common parking lot hazards that our attorneys have worked with include:
- Loose debris
- Pavement problems
- Inadequate lighting
- Insufficient security
- Snow, ice, or standing water
What should I do if I am injured in a parking lot accident?
If you were injured in a parking lot accident and are considering filing a legal claim to receive compensation, you must obtain adequate evidence to fulfill your burden of proof. The burden of proof means that the injured party needs to prove that the parking lot owner was negligent in maintaining a safe property. If you are able, follow these steps immediately after your accident:
- Call 911 – The police will file a report and will dispatch an ambulance.
- Take pictures of the hazardous conditions on the property.
- Gather names, phone numbers, and emails from any witnesses to the accident. This can help later on with your personal injury claim.
- Seek medical attention to properly treat your injuries. Ask your doctor for medical documentation that shows the origin of your injuries and their severity.
- Retain an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney to help you obtain additional evidence that can be key to your legal claim.
What can I recover from a parking lot accident?
If the injured party can prove that the parking lot owner was negligent and was a proximate cause to their injuries, then they may be entitled to compensation. In New Jersey, parking lot accident victims may be able to recover damages for:
- Lost wages
- Lost future wages
- Medical expenses
- Cost of rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.