One would be hard-pressed to imagine anything more frightening than being involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler. These vehicles are massive and require expert drivers to operate them safely, and when they act negligently, they put the lives of others at risk. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey personal injury attorneys to learn more about truck accidents, what to do after being involved in one, and how we can help you fight for the compensation you deserve and need if you have been injured in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do after being injured in an accident with an 18-wheeler?
If you are involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, there is a very good chance you may not be able to do anything other than awaiting an ambulance’s arrival, largely due to the sheer force that often accompanies truck accidents. However, if you can, try and do the following:
- First, call the police, as they will send an ambulance and write up an accident report upon arrival.
- Next, write down the truck license plate number and ask the truck driver for his or her insurance information.
- From here, take pictures of any damage to your car, the truck, and any property involved.
- Ask anyone who saw the accident for their contact information, such as their name, phone number, and email address.
- Once treated at a hospital, ensure you ask your doctor for any and all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney who can obtain all evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof. Oftentimes, 18-wheelers have a mechanism that can report how fast they were traveling at the time of an accident. In many cases, we can subpoena this information to prove that the truck driver was speeding, and therefore at fault for the accident.
How long will I have to sue for an auto accident in New Jersey?
If you were injured in an accident, the statute of limitations gives you two years from the date of that accident to pursue legal action against the negligent party. You cannot afford to wait past the two-year mark, for if you do, there is a very good chance that you will be barred from suing. Our firm is ready to begin the claims process on your behalf today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.