Many people do not think twice before stepping into an elevator. Other people find themselves feeling anxious when it comes to elevators due to a fear of heights or enclosed spaces. Elevator accidents do not occur very often, but when they do, their results can be devastating. Because we use elevators so often, it is important to know how these accidents occur, and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about elevator accidents in New Jersey.
What are the Most Common Causes of Elevator Accidents?
Elevator accidents are usually a result of faulty parts or machine malfunctions. Another common cause may be the failure to keep the elevator maintained. Accidents can occur as a result of the following:
- Drive malfunctions
- Improper installations
- Defective wiring
- Door operator errors
- Mechanical breakdowns
- Control system malfunction
- Power failures
- Failing to maintain/update equipment
- Abrupt stops
- Pully system malfunctions
- Negligent elevator design
What should I do if I am injured in an elevator accident?
If you are injured in an elevator accident, there are a number of important steps you should take:
- Call the police. They can call an ambulance, file a report, and more.
- Ask anyone who witnessed the accident for their name, phone number, and email address. This is because they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Document the scene. Make sure to take pictures of the unsafe condition that caused your accident to occur.
- Notify the property owner of your injury. It is important that they are aware that the accident has occurred.
- Seek medical treatment immediately. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Once you are treated, you should then ask your doctor for all medical documentation/bills regarding your injuries.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to obtain further information, including security camera footage and more.
If you have been injured in an elevator accident, you will want a strong legal team on your side. Reach out to our firm to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney. We will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.