Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents are common and can result in serious injuries and even death. As a result, it is important to understand how these accidents occur. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in New Jersey.
How do pedestrian accidents occur?
Pedestrian accidents are often due to driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Texting while driving and other forms of distracted driving
What can pedestrians do to avoid an accident?
There are certain steps a pedestrian can take to make themselves safer and lower the risk of accidents. To avoid an accident as a pedestrian, you should make sure to:
- Wear reflective gear
- Always look both ways before crossing the street
- Avoid using your phone while walking
- Utilize crosswalks and sidewalks
What do I do if I am injured?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, be sure to:
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention- It is important to go to the hospital right away, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a severe injury without realizing it. Seeking medical treatment will also provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries, which can play a large role in a personal injury case.
- Document the scene- While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, be sure to document the scene. If possible, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
How long do I have to file a claim?
In order to recover compensation, you will need to file your claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident when it comes to a personal injury claim. Failing to file in time will typically mean losing your right to take legal action.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, our firm is here to help. We will fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.