Swimming pools may seem like nothing but fun. Unfortunately, swimming pools can be more dangerous than you may realize. Read on to learn more about swimming pool accidents in New Jersey and what to do in the event of an accident.
What constitutes pool owner negligence?
The majority of pool accidents are avoidable. In fact, many accidents are due to pool owner negligence. The most common examples of pool owner negligence include:
- Failing to ensure all barriers, alarms, and covers are installed around the pool area
- Failing to tell others not to use electronic devices in the pool
- Neglecting children by leaving them unsupervised while swimming
- Failing to ensure everyone is swimming sober
- Failing to place “wet floor” and other hazard warning signs when necessary
- Failing to ensure all children unable to stand in the water are wearing the proper floatation devices
- Failing to warn all parties swimming that there are no safe diving zones
Can I recover compensation after a pool accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you need and deserve, it is important to provide proof of negligence. This may include taking pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Additionally, it is important to seek medical attention and alert the police.
How long do I have to file a claim?
In order to recover compensation, you will have to file a personal injury claim. However, you will have to file your claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. In order to avoid missing any important deadlines, contact an experienced personal injury attorney.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, our firm is here to help. Contact our firm to speak with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.