Car accidents can result in substantial physical and emotional injuries, lost wages, and exuberant amounts in medical expenses. If you are facing challenges as a result of a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Call a Middlesex County personal injury attorney at Stathis & Leonardis, LLC to learn more about your options in a potential personal injury claim.
What should you do after a car accident?
After a car accident occurs, it is important to follow these steps to increase your chances of winning a future personal injury claim:
- Call 911, as they will dispatch police and an ambulance to the scene of an accident.
- Ask the motorist for his or her insurance information, without exchanging dialogue about the accident.
- Ask all witnesses, if any, for their name, phone number, and email for future reference.
- Take pictures and videos of any damage to your car, the other motorist’s car, and any other property that was damaged as a result of the accident
- Once you have received medical treatment, ensure that you receive all documentation concerning the injuries sustained from your medical doctor.
- Once you are able, retain the services of a knowledgeable and experienced Middlesex County car accident attorney who can work to obtain more evidence to provide you with the most favorable outcome.
Can I bring a claim for driver negligence?
All drivers must adhere to a standard of care when operating a vehicle, including sober, undistracted and careful drivers. However, many times, people fail to abide by the standard of care, which can result in a serious accident. You may be able to bring a claim of driver negligence against the other motorist of the accident if it includes any of the following:
- Driving while intoxicated: while driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is widely prohibited, unfortunately, it does not stop people from getting behind the wheel. If you were injured as a result of another motorist who was under the influence, you will likely be entitled to financial compensation.
- Distracted driving: the use of cell phones, eating, and applying makeup behind the wheel are all dangerous behaviors that are commonly problematic today.
- Speeding: People still put themselves and others at risk everyday by not abiding by the speed limits.
How do I know if I can take legal action?
If you have been seriously injured as a result of a car accident, you may be able to take legal action against a negligent driver. Taking legal action may entitle you to compensation for all of the damages sustained as a result of the crash. There are economic damages (i.e. monetary and quantifiable damages) and non-economic damages (i.e. the physical and emotional effects of the accident). If you want to file a personal injury claim, it is important to consult with an attorney as soon as you are able to.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Stathis & Leonardis, LLC is an experienced personal injury law firm in Middlesex County, New Jersey that is committed to helping clients who have been hurt due to another party’s negligence. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.