If you are injured on a bus or train in New Jersey, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about mass transit accidents in New Jersey.
How do bus accidents occur?
Bus accidents can occur as a result of a negligent bus driver, other negligent drivers on the road, inclement weather, poor road conditions, and mechanical malfunctions. However, the most common bus accidents are due to driver negligence, including:
- Driving while drowsy
- Failing to ensure safety equipment, like fire extinguishers, are aboard
- Carelessly discharging passengers
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Disregarding large blind spots
- Texting while driving
- Ignoring traffic lights and signs
How do train accidents occur?
Train accidents do not occur very often, as trains rarely have to interact with each other. In this case, there is less room for driver negligence. However, accidents can still occur. These accidents are most often a result of:
- Misaligned tracks
- Inattentive train conductors
- Stalled cars on the track
- Unsafe railroad crossings
- Mechanical failures
- Unfastened screws and bolts in tracks
- Intoxicated train operators, conductors, or crew
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. However, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that your accident was a result of negligence. This may involve:
- Calling 911
- The police can help ensure that the scene is safe, send an ambulance for injured passengers, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention
- It is important to go to the doctor, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because you can sustain a serious injury without realizing it. For example, some injuries do not begin to show symptoms until days or even weeks after the accident. Additionally, this can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Document the scene
- If possible, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Contact an attorney
- An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, our firm will fight for you. Contact us today to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or were injured on another person’s property, please contact our firm today.